Tuesday 31 August 2010

Updating 'Pesticides in Agriculture'

I have been touching up a documentary I made last year on the harms of pesticides, which is of particular relevance to the island of Samos, and throughout areas of Greece, as many farmers are either ill informed or choose to be ignorant to the risks of over-using pesticides.

It aims to highlight not only the risks to human health but also the implications it has within the environment, especially once in contact with water.

The changes needed were simply replacing some images, as last year I didn't have much access to transport and therefore couldn't get all the shots I needed, having to take some from the internet. I have replaced some of these still images with my own moving image and photography, and for images I couldn't get myself, such as that of dead birds, I used Creative Commons websites to avoid copyright issues.

After I left last year a volunteer made an English version of the documentary, which also required some touch-ups, including the re-arranging of footage to fit with the different order of words in English from Greek.

Unfortunately I encountered problems with this as the laptop originally worked on doesn't accept VLC format when importing video, and this is the format with which everything was filmed on our new HDV camera. I therefore tried to edit it on our new PC computer which accepts VLC, but when I transferred the project over, due to the way it had been saved it lost its sound.

Therefore I ended up editing it on the old laptop, using more photography within the English version than moving image, which wasn't the look I was originally going for.

I could have spent more time on this, converting the footage to a format which would work on the old laptop, or reimporting and editing the sound on to the new computer, but considering the message of the piece was accurately shown with the images used, I didn't want to spend any more time on this when there was other work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment